We are extremely proud to offer award winning higher apprenticeship programmes. Since the launch of the programmes in 2011, we have had over 70 school/college leavers join us, with the majority of them graduating into permanent roles within the company.
The Visa apprenticeships are a great opportunity for anyone who is passionate about Technology or Finance. We offer workplace experience alongside qualifications, increasing a candidate’s career prospects significantly. Vocational, technical and soft skills are provided throughout the programme to develop apprentices’ skills.
The Technology & Business scheme has six-month rotations for the first 2 years, while the third year is spent in a specialist area. This allows our apprentices to experience many exciting and challenging areas of the business.
At the end of the programme, our apprentices will have gained a Foundation Degree in Computing & IT Practice, and a Level 4 National Certificate Diploma.
Placement department can be based in one of three Visa Europe Offices: Reading, London Paddington and Basingstoke.
The Finance scheme enables our Finance Apprentices to experience a vast variety of roles during the 2 year duration of the program.
Current Finance apprentices have rotated through Accounts Payable, Expenses, Cash management, Billing, Management accounting and financial reporting teams.
Our Finance apprentices enrol with Kaplan and complete the Chartered Institute of Management Accounting (CIMA) Certificate qualification. They are then given the opportunity to progress on to the professional qualification. Aside from the qualifications, our Finance apprentices receive relative training based on the responsibilities of the placement area.
Won by the apprenticeship:
Highly Commended Employer Award 2016
Apprenticeship Employer Award 2015
Top Employer for IT & Technology in 2016
Top Employer of the Year 2015
Top Employer for School and College Leavers 2013
Best Level of Support 2013
Developing Tomorrows Workforce Award 2013
Runner Up, Best Apprentice/ School Leaver Recruitment Strategy 2013
Won by individuals:
Highly Commended Runner Up,
Higher Apprentice of the Year 2015 (South East)
Highly Commended Runner Up,
Higher Apprentice of the Year 2014 (London)
Higher Apprentice of the Year 2013 (Thames Valley)
Women of the Future Young Star 2013
Next Generation Talent Manager,
Apprentice Champion of the Year 2012
The entry requirements for our Higher Apprenticeship in Technology & Business are a minimum two A-levels at Grade A* to C (or equivalent), ideally including technical subjects or Maths. Applicants must also hold five GCSEs at Grade C and above (or equivalent) which include English, Maths and either IT or a Science.
For our Higher Apprenticeship in Finance, the entry requirements are a minimum of two A-levels at Grade A* to C (or equivalent), ideally including Maths. Applicants must also hold five GCSEs at Grade C and above (or equivalent) which includes English, Maths and Science
Our apprentices have a starting salary of £17k, with the potential to earn an annual performance related bonus as well as the potential for an annual salary increase.
On top of this, apprentices at Visa Europe receive some of the most competitive benefits available in the market. Available from day one through the company’s benefit scheme, apprentices are able to tailor their benefits to their lifestyle choice including items from the list below:
- Competitive Contributed Pension
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Travel Insurance
There are a number of employee benefits that encourage you to get healthy such as:
- Cycle to work scheme
- Corporate gym membership
- 25 days of holiday (plus bank holidays)
- The option to purchase up to 4 additional days holiday
Training & Development
- We provide technical and placement training to develop our apprentices' skills and knowledge to allow them to flourish in the workplace.
- Personal Learning & Thinking Skills (PLTS) training programme. This is fun as well as challenging and there is a huge amount of learning in an outdoor environment.
- Apprentices will also be provided with the opportunity to earn further professional qualifications based on their placements. These include the International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB), Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and more.
To complement your academic qualifications we also provide one day a week to study, where apprentices receive an ongoing support from their manager and assessor as well as the next generation talent team. Apprentices also have an opportunity to rotate around the business and engage with various teams. This allows them to work with different line managers and colleagues who have the experience to develop them to shape their career. In addition to this, apprentices have a buddy and placement department mentor.
Visa is a great place to gain valuable qualifications that you can use throughout your career. Each programme provides a host of different qualifications you can achieve.
The Higher Technology programme allows you to gain the following:
- Level 4 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals
- Foundation Degree in Computing and IT Practice
As well as these, you will also be given the opportunity to gain industry recognised qualifications such as ISTQB, ITIL and P30 amongst others; dependent on placement areas.
As a Finance apprentice, you’ll be enrolled with Kaplan and complete the CIMA Certificate qualification. They are given the opportunity to progress on to the professional qualification. Aside from the qualifications, you’ll also receive relative training based on their placement area.
A passion and talent for IT and new technology or for finance and accounting (dependent on the programme) are vital. We look for the brightest and most talented people to join us and help them to unlock their potential from the moment they step through our doors.
Our application process is made up of five different stages and will take around three to four months overall. Applicants begin by completing an online application form. Those who pass the first stage will progress to a simple online test, which tests problem solving, Maths and verbal reasoning skills. The successful applicants are then invited to an interview; either on the phone or face to face. The final stage is the assessment centre. This is where candidates are really given the opportunity to shine and let their personalities come through. A number of tasks and team building activities are carried out, to allow the candidates to showcase themselves to the company. A job offer is made to candidates who have met all the requirement criteria.
Is this your first time applying for something like this? Not quite sure what to do? Don’t worry, for a number of our apprentices this was the same, so they’ve put together a list of their top tips for the application process!
- Write up your initial application in Word or something similar. That way you can use the spell checker and other features.
- Make yourself stand out- tell us about your proudest achievements that will have a ‘wow’ factor.
- Use examples in your initial application that you know you’ll be able to talk about it if asked during the interview stage.
- If you get through to the interview stage, dress like you want the job. Dressing smart increases your confidence. Share your experience and knowledge passionately to prove that you have what it take to be Visa apprentice.
- If you have to do a presentation for an assessment centre, don’t worry too much about the content of it! It’s more than likely the assessors are looking at how you present and deliver the presentation. Just choose something that interests you or you can talk passionately about (from Duke of Edinburgh to Scooby Doo to cars, there’s no wrong presentation!).
- If you’re at an assessment centre make sure you get a good night sleep beforehand, it can be a long and tiring (but also fun) day.
- Whether you’re going to an assessment centre or going for your interview make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get to the venue! Being late doesn’t leave a good first impression.
Register your interest now to receive further information on our recruitment, including a notification when we open for applications.
Register your interest
Stay in the know
To see all the latest goings-on with our apprentices at Visa, take a look at our Blog and Twitter pages. These contain all the latest information about the incredible experiences and development our apprentices get to experience on a daily basis.
Visit our apprentice blog Check us out on Twitter